Labels

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sunday the 9th Iznik to Beypazari




After a stooge around the city on a Sunday, all the Muze (Museums) were closed or being refurbished which was a pity. But like most historic places the "good stuff" has been "relocated". Stolen ? Like the Elgin marbles.


Anyway the ride was wonderful. marvelous autumn colours, lots of trees and vines and lots of olives being picked. Irrigation has changed the face of this land. It is a productive vegetable growing area now. It was a good ride. Dry but cool. As it does here, the sun goes down early so it was in that nice golden light that I found the village of my destination.


It was old. It has narrow cobbled stret full of market stalls and is charming. However first I had to find the Otel, which I did and it was old and perhaps charming as well. Uneven floors, toilet and shower in the wardrobe (converted) and quaint is probably a better description.


So was the "old guy" that greeted me, he was 64 and his mate 67. He insisted that I sit on his stool and eat some bread, which I did. It seems he is the self appointed gardener on that peice of street.


After unloading I went looking at the town and found some dinner. All good. The people really are very kind, a little fascinated perhaps by my appearance, but they handle it well. The food is great really. I managed a yoghurt soup, some olive leaf rolls and because I was in Turkey a baklavar. And I enjoyed it.


These old hillside town are as quaint as can be really. Narrow and steep cobbles, houses almost touching and lots of people. And os course in the evening and the morning the call from the mosque. It is great in a slightly larger place where there are often up to 5 mosques in shouting distance and they seem to compete with their calls from the Minarets ( I hope thats what they are).


nzl04