Labels

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Monday 27th Dubrovnik

A good start on a sunny day and I was this time on my way to Dubrovnik. Incidentally I am writing this sitting in the home of Kazim in Istanbul and the sound of the calls to the mosque echoing round the city are haunting.
But Dubrovnik as I said was dramatic. What a place. I walked the wall and tried to understand the absurdity of war, yet what has driven these countries that until just 20 years ago were still fighting for strategic land after 4000 5000 how many years ?
I try to avoid staying in cities where tourism is a big factor, firtly they have a sameness and they are generally expensive so I was off down the coast first hiving bought some green card insurance. I did find at the border that Croatia was excluded from my policy....so a tip for travellers.....like going to a Shell shop for directions, go to a Bank for matters commercial. So I went to the Bank, they had an insurance company next door and a security guard that took delight in looking after the bike.
So I ran down the road and found such a magical little town right on the water. Cavtat is georgous. The sort of place where one could tie up a small boat and stop, for a long time.
I was not so fortunate, and for me it was a walk round in the evening light and another walk in the morning to refresh the wallet at the local "hole in the wall".
I did manage some fresh small fish cooked whole called as best I could interpret as Cackarels, a bit like small herrings but tasty.
The town was even prettier the next day in the fresh sunlight with the little boats tied up at the seawall selling fish.
(Meanwhile over the balcony today in Istanbul, another huge cruise boat is tying up in this stunning port).
Croatia will be left behind tomorrow with some very good memories.
nzl04