Labels

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sunday 2nd to Asprovalta


Yes I know where Asprovalta is but why go there. There is only one reason. It was dark and there was a Hotel. Otherwise it was not a pleasant place.
The day had started better in Parthenona however. Breakfast delivered by my host. Sitting on a balcony in the hills with the sun filtering through on the Aegean was pretty good. My hosts were delightful people
Soon the fun of the day started. The locals from the district walk run ride drive across the mountain and then have lunch in the square with music and traditional dancing.
It was great fun and the locals all had a great time. The food was a stampede and the wine came in a plastic barrel which I think might have been home made Cypro ( if I got the name right) but a pretty interesting brew.
However the large greek men in black and while costumes and frilly skirts were truly "real". Not for tourists this was a local gathering and great fun and I was fortunate to be there.
Sadly I had to keep moving so a ride through the olives and beach towns of Sithonia was great.
Greece is a very pretty country.
nzl04