Labels

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sunday 26th Croatia

Daylight saving ended today in Croatia. So the morning start was cold cloudy and windy. Still I ride without rain and I am happy about that.
So my plan to go to the National Park at Plitvic thwarted I headed south through Knin and Sinj, where there is an historic picture og the Virgin Mary, greatly revered. My plan was to get through to Bosnia at Motski but with no facility to buy insurance at the border I was turned back. No wonder these countries are poor. I was turned away because they could not organise a piece of paper that cost about 5 euro. I had hoped to go to Mostar where some of the war had focussed with the destruction of an historic bridge, since rebuilt. Well that will have to wait.
The matter of "green cards" in europe is just plain stupidity. Fortunately the EEC have it sorted, one policy for all, well mostly.
So I changed plans and headed over the range that runs down the coast and was on my way to Dubrovnik. Wow ! What a city. The old city I mean, within the walls. This was the turning point in the war when Dubrovnik was seiged. The evience is still visible, some empty sites that were destroyed, and lots on new tile roofs. However I am getting ahead of myself. The road down the coast, steep and bush clad. I found a place to stay as darkness closed in and was pleased to have a bed. The Taverna round the corned provided beer and a pretty ordinary goulash but I was fed after 330k of a rather disappointing ride.
nzl04