Labels

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Monday 3rd to Istanbul


The ride to this incredible city along the route of the old ancient roman way. It is not an attractive ride. There is plenty of pollution in the air, lots of industry, and lots of road.
The apprehension I face when approaching something as daunting as riding into Istanbul is tangible.
It is scary.
This minor obstruction was encountered along the way. I took it to be an aquaduct.
I followed the road/motorway as far as I dared into the city, then asked a taxi driver for the way to the Taksim Square. He mostly with signs indicated, ahead, up hill, turn left, so we moved on only to have a lady draw up beside me and ask what directions I asked for in very good english, so I said Taksim, ahead, up hill, turn left,....thats good she said and drove off.....
So I found with the aid of a phone call to Kazim my way to his house.
One of the joys of travel is the people you meet. This man is one of those joys.
So I have the pleasure of his and his companions hospitality and it is hard to express how much that kindness is appreciated.
Being a nomad sounds like fun, riding round the world sounds like fun, and they certainly are fun, but like everything you do a lot, it can get trying at times. The wash and wear lifestyle, the eat sleep and ride mentality, the uncertainty of the external factors, not only finding the way but negotiating it with sometimes no language in common whatsoever. But who would have it any other way as I prepare for Iran.
The visa applicationm process is a curious one. London said it will take a long time apply in Istanbul, much quicker. Istanbul said apply on line and collect wherever you nominate. Sadly an inconsistency in the information process has cost me many days waiting. Incidentally it seems the Visa process is run from the US....so much for trade sanctions !
Its a funny world.
nzl04