Labels

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Scotland to Ireland 20 August

I left Oban in miserable conditions with a heavy rain warning in Glasgow which was on my route south. So I stuck to the main roads. Visibilty is the main problem. The rain gets on the helmet lens, and the cold causes fogging up, so I have to open the lens, the for clears but the rain comes in on my glasses so I have two waterfalls to peer through. Not so much fun !
However I made the ferry and again met some local bikers who had been to the GP in Brno a city I had recently passed through on the ride from China. Onother disappointing city on the Goat riders trip.
So they gave me the heads up on where to go and so I did. Up the coast to the Giants causeway. Legend has it that the giant built it to get between Scotland and Ireland however what it is, is a dramatic site with some very interesting stone formations formed after volcanic eruptions. It is the great attraction of Northern Ireland. Sadly I made it in diminished light but I hope I got a feel of how pretyy the site is. I moved on in the dark to Portrush for a miserable night in a B+B and fish and chips for dinner which were poor as well. Never mind it was a most varied and interesting day.
nzl04