Labels

Friday, August 1, 2008

Nordkapp 31 July




Hi..................................



I left Inari once again in cool but dry weather. The ride again was uneventful as the climate is not the best for interesting growth and the lanscape fairly rough.
As a result of the EEC there are no "borders" no passport stamps, nothing. So I had high hopes when stopped at the Norway border, but alas only a student doing a survey on tourism for Finland.
The landscape became fantastic once at the foot of the first fjiord. They are beautiful places to me, lots of water, rocks, high rocky outcrops jutting into the sea, rocky shores, and sandy bays, a very picturesque place. And yes lots of reindeer.
For those that remember the Beatles the Mull of Kintyre was echoing through my mind once I arrived at Nordkapp. The building there became totally obscured from 75 metres away, as the mist rolled in from the North sea. Hence the picture, to not only record this was the start of my southern journey but the elements of the arctic as well.
The other pic is the structure at the top. Its possibly well known and taken by all that visit, but not before by me and probably not again !
So farewell to the top.
I was hoping to ride and follow the sun through the night but the weather had other plans.
The ride south was by now wet and bitterly cold. I had 5 layers on and still miserable. The lanscape south of the top is bleak and barren. Lots of unthawed snow, rivers that only a keen fisherman would love, and barren hillside, some pretty high but still not mountains in my view.
Alta is my home for the night, on yet another fjiord, with a feel for those that know it, like Lake Taupo, in the winter.....in a stiff southerly. I am grateful for the sauna.

nzl04