Labels

Monday, August 4, 2008

Gryllfjord tp "heaven" 2 August



I left on the ferry the pict was posted on yesterdays post. The trip across was pretty rolly, pity help these fishermen, what tough conditions, however landfall on the island was another contrast. From Andenes it was flat and easy riding round the high picturesque outcrops, as I made my way down the Island to Sortland. Roads were good in fact a great ride in the setting sun, well it would have been if it had set. As I went further south into more picturesque countryside it just got better until it became the most spectacular scenery you are likely to see. High snow splattered peaks in golden sunlight and cute as can be little fishing villages nestled in small bays. The red houses built to the water in a backdrop of rock and green sided foothills. It was a fantastic ride.
I went all the way south to the last port, well it was dramatic and too good to miss, where the ferry had left an hour or so before, ( no midnight sailing on Saturday night). So I was thankful for a Shell stop and a hot dog earlier in the day. The garages here dispense fuel and you pay for it at the pump by card. The service station is now a shop, and fast food outlet, my principal food supply while on the road. I can get a coffee and some sort of food, sandwich, hot dog, panini, and be back on the road quite quickly. So I spent a cool night camped out, eating dried fish, in bright daylight, waiting for the 6 am sailing.
However nothing will diminish my memory of the beauty of Lofoton Island and the many little magical villages with the classic Norge boats, built to withstand terrible seas, and the bridges, and the tunnels, which are round every corner in this picturesque island. I owe a thankyou to the pig farmer in Finland for making me promise not to miss this place. However it is in the Arctic circle and it does get very cold even in the "summer".
nzl04