Labels

Friday, February 27, 2009

27 Feb Kluang Jahor State Malaysia




I have been sitting in Melaka trying to organise a trip to the jungle on the worst internet connection I have had to tolerate for a while. The Holiday Inn has not got its act together at all.
So I tried Indonesia, Serawak, Bornoe, the Malay Highlands this time by rain and could not get the timing right or the information I needed to actually endertake the trip.
So finally I spotted a gap in the clouds and was off. It has rained every day. I didn't get far. just down the coast and then inland to Kluang.
The coastal strip in Malaysia is very fertile, and would appear to grow just about anything. Sime Darby however have a considerable number of Palm oil plantations. There are crops of dragon fruit which I can assure you are the fastest and most effective laxative I have ever experienced. The food in general is a disappointing mix of Malay, Indian, Chinese, and about everything else as well. Never mind it is tasty.
I hope I can find some shots of Melaka which is also a confusion of flavours Dutch Portugese British Asian and lots more as well I think. Melaka has a reputation as a good tourist location, perhaps earned in desparation as there is not much going on for the visitor in Malaysia it appears. Like about every city I have ever been to it has a "new mall" full of "international" tenants, from McDonalds to Hush Puppies, and the inevitable food halls, and shops full of what I call junk, but noticably empty of patrons. The shops are empty of people eveywhere. The Hotels are empty.
Its an odd feeling.
nzl04