Labels

Thursday, February 12, 2009

12 Feb still in Bangkok











There was a time when that would have been a plus, "stuck in Bangkok", but now, I am unsure. The happy Thai people are less happy. The tourist is not greeted warmly, but commercially, and the costs have gone up and the service has gone down. All in all its disappointing and "over-run" with tourists.
I felt Cambodia was where Thailand used to be. Happier people.

So I went to Angkor Wat. The getting there and back was a bit of an ordeal. A backpacker trip in a mini van really. The border crossing just silly. It seems there is a desire to make the crossing unpleasant, why I can not understand, it will not stop people.........but the roads in Cambodia were worse. They are having trouble creating a decent road, however once at Siam Reap (or wherever) where Angkor Wat is, the city is a vast array of some of the biggest Hotels I have seen in a small community, dozens of them. If there is any doubt that this is not the economic engine of Cambodia then forget it. Thousands of people and dozens of Hotels spending US dollars. The Cambodian currency is given as change.
What can one say about Angkor Wat. It has a world wide image. I went there to see if it had a "feel", and to see it. For me Matchupichu had no "feel" either. Great to look and and ponder mans inhumanity to man !

The place is in my perception a number of walled religous buildings. The area is about 1 km square. Inside a "Temple" and really small for external image of the place. There seemed to be little internal space, not the sort of place 500 monks could fit into so it left me with many unanswered questions really. No question the place is dramatic and the structures impressive even amazing, the delicate stone work and the images ....... Built around 1180 I believe, about the time of the crusades so it was an interesting time.
I took some pictures having gone there for sunrise and sunset so I hope I can capture some of the beauty of the place. The soul I am sorry I couldn't find or picture. I guess in short there was no sense that many people were actually here and doing things despite the size and beauty of the construction. I did really enjoy the forest that has taken over however. The trees are magnificent.
Pleased to have gone there however.
nzl04