Labels

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

3 March Singapore







I left my beach resort after a day of walking in the sand, swimming and having a day off. It was great. Went to the south of the peninsula, a fishing town of Ringit, and enjoyed a crab and fish lunch. That was great. The blue crab in Georgetown however was better if you ever go to Penang.



So on Monday I headed for Singapore. The ride to Johar Baru the southern entry point was very pleasant, the roads in Malaysia are good.



The fun started when I approached the City, as all reference to Johor Baru disappeared. I rode round for an hour looking for any indication that Singapore was close, and nothing. There is the odd sign for Woodlands, which is I astablished the first town on the Singapore Island.



The Malaysians certainly do not like their neighbour it seems, but are happy for the tourism they bring.



The motorway system on Singapore Island is comprehensive however thay have yet to work out that signs help.



Crossing to the Island was interesting, there is a bike lane, and once on it the reason becomes apparent. They cross in their hundreds. Only problem is that even with my distinct appearance they ignore the formalities. So I was "inspected" with a look in one pannier and then "waved" through customs where I should have had the Carnet stamped. The AA in Singapore are living in the past. They said when I got the email from them, that I should have left the bike in Malaysia, travelled to Singaopre AA in the City to have the Carnet validated, then return to Malaysia to collect the bike and get my validated Carnet stamped as I crossed the border, so I could in turn the next day take it to the wharf for shipment.



They also isue a data card for paying tolls and Insurance so perhaps that is the real explanation.



However the Carnet was not stamped. The shipping agent says they can provide "documentation" that will allow the shipment ( at a cost of $50 Sing) so here we go, I am back in the world of petty officials and lots of pointless rules. I better get used to it because it gets worse, Australia is next.



Apart from that it is fascinating to be here. There economy is built on nothing, just providing a service. They do not even have sufficient water to survive, and they recycle an enormous proportion of it. Still building huge buildings, still busy it seems, lots of expats, Aussie accents everywhere. But it is great, it is vital, and energetic, and it is warm, very warm.



So I want to include a pic or two that will reflect the last two days.



nxl04