Labels

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

1 - 4 Feb now in Bangkok

Well I spent a day in the goods store at Kathmandu packing NZL04 into a large tea crate. That was pretty much a shambles but we got it done.
I had the pleasure of a walk through the"old town" where my packing mate advised me "white face in door price double" so any plans I had of assisting the Nepalese economy went west.
So I walked and watched the other white faced "donors" and eventually wandered back to the Hotel. There is little to do or see in Khatmandu ( for me). The mountains are the attraction and I can see why. They are special for sure.
So my last night in this part of the world. After a poor meal last night and a fair fuss, tonight at the insistence of the manager, I had the Nepal special, soup, main, desert, and it was great. even a Carlseberg.
So I made the airpot in time. It was very odd being in a confined space with so many people.
I no longer enjoy the "thrill" of flying.
I was collected at the Airport, for once I had booked ahead.
Being nearby it was easy to return to assemble the bike , which took most of the day. I would like to quickly run through the process as it was a circus.
Go to airport and, eventually, find Thai Cargo. Not many Thai understand "Thai Freight" it seems.
So I was dropped at a cafeteria. There a man wanted to take an order for tea and "talk" to me. Another tout however showed me to the actual Thai Freight office.
There I was told that I needed to go to Customs, next building up stairs.
At next building up stairs I was to go get two copies of "everything"....next building.
I found a lady with a copier in next building and got two copies of everything and returned.
I presented the two copies of everything and was told "we closed for lunch come back 1 hour"
So I went back to "next building where there was a cafeteria that worked on the coupon system.
I inspected the stalls and saw what I fancied, fish rice and greens.
I purchased the coupon and returned.
I ordered and was asked for 1 more coupon......so back I went for another coupon.
I returned received my meal and enjoyed a VERY spicy lunch. then waited.
About 45 minutes later I returned and sat andwaited. Soon I got my papers. And some directions.
First go to Customs and pay bill. That meant first going to "inward goods" showing my documents, receiving a bill and returning to the cashier to pay. Then having paid returning to Inward goods for the documents. So I did.
Then it was up 4 floors to security where I presented my documents and was presented with a bill. Pay at cashier down there, so I did. And I returned and received a pass to allow me into bond.
So I walked to Thai Freights huge shed. We walked down rows of dock gates until at one I spotted my tea chest. I was able to convince them that was mine so some young chap in the office grabbed my papers had them processed and we left, and so did he.
A supervisor wanted to know what I was doing, so I said as directly as I could papers taken, bike here, no tools......so we went for a walk to find the man with the hammer. This was after being assured by the freight forwarder in Kahtmandu there will be people there to help...yeah !!!
So I set to my tea chest, and out she slowly came. I called for help to get the bike on the centre stand as it had no front wheel. That accomplished it was "put her back together".
That took me a while.
Eventually it was done and the bike ran allways a good feeling when it starts.
Then my "man" with my documents came back with a customs man and said we go. No I said I go when I am ready and at that point he advised me that his services were 4000 bt.. The ensuing row had many parties arrive to "mediate".
So it was finally a ride down the goods dock to many shouts of encouragement ( this is the second of these Bond store rideouts) and they really do get quite excited by the bike.
A short ride to customs. Two young girls who had no idea of what a bike was so eventually I got the helper out of the way and we found the information they wanted.
Then it was my turn for a suprise, having insisted on having the Carnet, and copies of the carnet when it came time to process it they said we do not use Carnet.....
Last it was time to "pay" the man that I discovered was not an employee of Thai but a freelance hustler, so I paid 400 bt a whole lot more than I should have.
Customs were fine and I was out the gate. Found some fuel and after one very odd ride and being 100% lost took to the back streets and using the GPS as a guide actually found myself on the other side of the river from the Hotel. There was a footbridge and I was at the Hotel.
Today I rested !
Tomorrow I go in search of the BMW dealer. Typical BMW dealer reaction to a traveller. Come back next week we are very busy.
I have learned one thing about BMW worldwide, after the bike is sold they do not give a damn !
Thankfully however there are exceptions. The guys at Tunbridge Wells tried, failed but tried, but the BMW dealer in Hasselt in Belgium is the BEST BMW dealership in the world and I have seen a few. Head office in Munich is good but wouldn't you know it they do not carry stock. 1 item on display 1 in store and thats it. If you are the second buyer that week hard luck.
But I digress.
I am in Bangkok in the suburbs. Tomorrow its the city.
Soon I must fly south. Time is racing by.
nzl04