Labels

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thursday 23 Oct Leinz to Pula in Croatia




After the usual breakfast, fruit cornies yoghurt, bread sliced meat and cheese, I can say
the ride out of Austria was a joy. Two passes, steep descent (15 hairpins), then the valley floor opening out to the north Italy plains. Lots of grapes, lots of hoticulture, then on to the border with Slovenia.
I was soon back in the pretty rolling hills, a blaze of autumn colour. Red gold scarlet green yellow orange.... of Slovenia.
Fuel dropped 20 cents (euro) a litre and the people were friendly, talkative, and asking where I was from and wishing me well. That was a very warm reception. So I visited the small town that I came to visit with a 16th Century Church with the interior painted depicting biblical scenes. I liked the one showing us all ( child, man, banker, lawyer, king,queen, pope,) all in a line to meet the grim reaper ! And he was grim. Even in the 16th century they knew what life was about....we all and up the same...dead. So my take on that is, better to be happy now.
So on I journeyed to Piran, had a beer at an english pub called the Lord Byron. Even in Slovnia you cannot escape it. So in the absense of a Hotel I could find I looked to Garmin and headed south. Big mistake. Garmin does not know Kroatia is in Europe so there was one road to Pula. That was it so I went to Pula in the dark. I located a Hotel with foyers and staircases that were imense in the old fashioned style. A quaint city with the distinction of having a huge Roman colluseum still intact. The interior had gone but the walls remained.
nzl04