Labels

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Warsaw to Lithuania 24 July


Well it was a grey day in Warsaw. It threatened rain, but I was sure it would not so I rode on getting wetter, but soon was vindicated and it got grey and dry then light grey and blue and ended in a beautiful summer day in wherever I am in the heart of Lithuania.

What an odd country. Flat and boring, with the usual wheatfields. The towns are less attractive. For a moment thought I was back in Germany with the usual cowdung smell from housed cows in the villages. I do not know how they put up with the smell. It outdoes Rotorua.....in fact in any other PC country they would be stopped, but it is at least re-assuring to see someone saying thats how it was and thats how it is... they have that right.

So its hard to get a picture that represents todays ride. Poland and Lithuania. And on that point I again rode through a deserted border post, and Lithuania is not in the EEC as far as I know so that was a suprise. I didn't even get a stamp in my passport.

The trucks started again soon after the border and I was expecting a bad ride but Garmin sidetracked me....in fact right into the Capital ( I think) and as there was a bridge closed for repair, on my way out, so spent 40 minutes trying to find the road north. No signs, no diversion signs, just closed. And no sgns that meant anything to me, so seat of the pants navigation and some compass, and we were going north again. Ride today 520k so a bit tired.

The picture is of a town square and their heraldry.
nzl04